Sunday, May 6, 2012

Olivia Learing to Words

We have had a speech therapist working with Olivia for months.  I am not even sure how many months, maybe 10 months.  Olivia's progress has been very slow.  In fact for the past 3 months it has felt like a plateau.  Just recently I have been getting a little frustrated.  All day long I am constantly repeating simple words to her and singing songs and emphasizing everything we do with words.  Olivia has been able to say hi, bye, mom, dad, and nana (banana) for several months.  But she was not even trying to say any other words, just grunting.  Olivia would never imitate what I was saying to her either (example:  moo, baa, papa).  On April 18th Olivia had her Let's Play class.  Her speech therapist, Lizzie, comes each week to help with Olivia.  While we were in class we were finishing up an art project and Olivia said "done".  Lizzie and I both looked at each other and said "she just said done".  We were both very surprised.  Throughout the rest of the day Olivia just took off with words.  When we got home later that afternoon Olivia went and got the bubbles from the cupboard, brought them over to me and started to say "bubbles, bubbles".  Once again I couldn't believe it.  Boy was I excited.  During the rest of the day she said "ide" (outside), "aut" (hot), and baba (bottle).  I was just amazed at all the words she was saying.  Since then, it has been a week and a half, she has continued to take off.  She is now trying to imitate everything I say to her.  She is saying  "wawa" (water), "ight" (light), "moo", "neigh", "ruff", and when I say a word I can get her to say the beginning or at least try to say the word.  It is so fun to see her start communicating with words.  I think she feels pretty good to be able to use words now as well.  I love when we are able to jump over another hurdle with Olivia.  What a sweet girl that has come to our family.  We sure love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment